Michigan Department of Natural Resources

Michigan.gov Home      DNR Home                                                                                   Online Exhibits MI Historical Museum | MI Historical Center

 
Auto Tour and Plates by the Year Banner
A Michigan Auto Tour, Michigan Historical Museum
 

Early Automobiles on Mackinac Island

Mackinac State Historic Parks

The Historic Automobile Ban

Afraid that the new-fangled sputtering motor cars would scare their horses, Mackinac Island carriage tour drivers turned to the village leaders for support. On July 6, 1898 the Mackinac Island Village Council banned "horseless carriages" from its streets.

"Resolved: That the running of horseless carriages be prohibited within the limits of the village of Mackinac." — Mackinac Island Village Council, July 6, 1898

Locomobile that visited Mackinac Island in 1901 Summer cottager Earl C. Anthony ignored the automobile ban and brought his Locomobile to Mackinac Island in 1900. While driving in Mackinac Island State Park, he frightened and hurt several horses and wrecked some carriages. In response to this accident, the Mackinac Island State Park Commission outlawed automobiles in the park in 1901. Today travel on Mackinac Island is by foot, horse and carriage or bicycle.

One Hundred Years Later

Miller family drives steam-powered Geneva along Market Street On July 6, 1998 a turn-of-the-century automobile made a rare appearance on historic Mackinac Island to commemorate the anniversary of that automobile ban. Glenn Miller of Dearborn, Michigan drove his 1901 Geneva steam-powered car on Mackinac Island's Market Street. Miller's car is similar to the steam-powered Locomobile—believed to be the first car on Mackinac Island. Miller towed his vintage car in a trailer up I-75 on July 5, loaded it in a freight boat headed for Mackinac Island on July 6, then drove it in town for the festivities. The car arrived and departed by freight boat near British Landing on the northwest side of the island. After being driven from Mackinac Island's City Hall to Marquette Park where it was displayed, it was towed off the island by the Mackinac State Historic Parks' horse-drawn dray. Not since the filming of Somewhere In Time in 1979 had passenger cars been driven on Mackinac Island.

The 1901 Geneva Automobile

Glenn Miller checks out 1901 Geneva before driving on Mackinac Island The 1901 Geneva steam-powered automobile was manufactured by the Geneva Automobile & Manufacturing Company, Geneva, Ohio. The two-passenger car is 7 feet long, 5 feet wide and 5 feet high, and weighs approximately 800 pounds. It has a black wood body with red line trim, red wire wheels, and a brown leather seat. It has a 6-horsepower engine. A copper water tank at the rear comes forward on two sides of the boiler that holds 6 gallons of water when charged for working.

Cars Converge on Mackinaw City in 1924

Although cars are not welcome on Mackinac Island, they bring visitors to the Mackinaw City area. 1924 marks the first year in which great numbers of cars converged on Michilimackinac State Park, known today as the reconstructed 1770s fort and fur-trading village Colonial Michilimackinac, a National Historic Landmark. That year 65 different makes of automobiles were parked at the Straits of Mackinac campground. Among the cars parked there in 1924 were: 689 Fords, 211 Chevrolets, 206 Dodges, 187 Buicks, 93 Studebakers, 84 Overlands, 50 Reos, 45 Hupps, 44 Nashes, 43 Willys Knights, and 40 Oldsmobiles. Cars came from as far away as Florida, Oregon, Arizona and California. But with Mackinac Island's ban on automobiles, those cars never came to the island—only their passengers were welcome.

Photos and Text: Courtesy of Mackinac State Historic Parks. Copyright 1998 and 1999 Mackinac Island State Park Commission.



Contact the Michigan Historical Museum with your question or comment about this page.

          Accessibility Policy  |   Privacy Policy  |   Link Policy  |   Security Policy
          Copyright State of Michigan